According to 22 CFR 216.3.a.8, to the extent feasible and relevant, projects and programs with potential for environmental impact should be designed to include measurement of any changes in environmental quality, positive or negative, during their implementation.
This requires the collection of baseline data before project implementation. ADS 204.3.4.b states that mission staff is responsible for ongoing monitoring and evaluation of whether the environmental components designed for the activity resulting from the 22 CFR 216 process are being implemented effectively. This includes identifying and addressing new or unforeseen environmental consequences arising during implementation.
For activities with Threshold Decisions of Negative Determination with Conditions and Positive Determination, we recommend that [the mission] include a clause in its contracts and assistance agreements to require distinct language in the implementing partners’ annual work plans stating how the partner will address environmental baseline data requirements as outlined in the Initial Environmental Examination and/or as required for the Environmental Review documents.
For activities with Threshold Decisions of Negative Determination with Conditions and Positive Determination, we recommend that [the mission] establish procedures to require implementing partners to provide activity managers with Environmental Mitigation and Monitoring Plans as part of their annual work plans.
Source: AUDIT REPORT NO. 9-000-10-004-P MARCH 9, 2010
The recommendations are derived from audit reports of the Office of the Inspector General. The source refers to the audit report, which is available on this site as part of the Audit Database Project: an educational tool for compliance with USAID regulations. Please see the disclaimer of this site before using recommendations.
|←Previous Environmental Expertise - ADS 204||Incorporate Environmental Assessment Requirements in Solicitations and Awards - ADS 204.3.4.a.6 - ADS 303.3.6.3.e - ADS 204.3.8 Next→|
- Environmental Requirements in Solicitations and Awards - 22 CFR 216 - ADS 204
- Implementing Partner is Not In Compliance With Environmental Procedures - Code of Federal Regulations Title 22 Section 216, “Environmental Procedures - ADS 204
- Environmental Expertise - ADS 204
- Incorporate Environmental Assessment Requirements in Solicitations and Awards - ADS 204.3.4.a.6 - ADS 303.3.6.3.e - ADS 204.3.8
- Environmental Procedures - 22 CFR 216
- Revisions to Environmental Assessments Delay Agreements - Section 117 of the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961, as amended and as reflected in ADS Chapter 204, Environmental Procedures - ADS 202
- Environmental Procedures Not Followed - Title 22 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 216, “Environmental Procedures” Section 216.2(d)
- Required Environmental Assessments Were Not Carried Out - Title 22 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 216, “Environmental Procedures.” Section 216.2(d)(1) - Section 216.2(d)(2)
- Environmental Monitoring Was Not Conducted - 22 CFR 216, Environmental Procedures - ADS 204, Environmental Procedures - ADS 204.2.c
- Awards Without Conducting Required Environmental Assessments - Foreign Assistance Act of 1961, as amended, Section 117 - 22 CFR 216 - ADS 184.108.40.206 - ADS 204.3.4