Bezemer, P., Peij, S., De Kruijs, L. & Maassen, G. (2013), Boardroom Dynamics of two-tier boards: How non-executive directors manage working relationships with executives. Paper presented at the European Academy of Management, Istanbul, June 2013.
This study explores how non-executive directors are challenged by management while they seek to improve the effectiveness of supervisory boards in the Netherlands.
A combination of semi-structured interviews and a questionnaire among non-executive directors indicates that supervisory board members mainly experience boardroom challenges in three core areas: the ability of non-executive directors to ask management critical questions, information asymmetries between the management and supervisory boards and the management of the relationship between individual executive and non-executive directors.
The qualitative in-depth analysis reveals the complexity of the main contributing factors to problems in the boardroom as well as the range of process and social interventions non-executive directors use to address boardroom issues. The findings highlight the need to better understand board-room processes and the need of non-executive directors to carefully manage relationships in and around the boardroom.
Key words: boardroom challenges, boardroom dynamics, boardroom interventions, two-tier boards, the Netherlands.
|←Previous The Changing Role of Supervisory Board Chairman: The Case of the Netherlands (1997-2007)||The Effectiveness of Supervisory Boards: an Exploratory Study of Group Dynamics and Challenges in Dutch Board Rooms Next→|
- The Influence of the Board of Directors on the Strategic Renewal Behavior of Listed Corporations
- Assessing Corporate Responses to Changing Board Network Expectations in the Netherlands
- The Hidden Effects of Corporate Governance Reform in the Netherlands
- An Introduction to Organizational Economics
- The Comparison of Corporate Governance Models
- Comparing Major International Corporate Governance Models
- Service Role of Boards
- Demographic Diversity
- The Service Role of Boards
- The Importance of Independent Directors for Indonesian Boards of Directors