Bezemer. P., Maassen, G.F., Van den Bosch, F.A.J., Volberda, H.W. (2007) Investigating the Development of the Internal and External Service Tasks of Non-Executive Directors: The Case of the Netherlands (1997-2005). Corporate Governance, 15 (6), 1119 - 1129.
During the last decade, globalization and liberalization of financial markets, changing societal expectations and corporate governance scandals have increased the attention for the fiduciary duties of non-executive directors. In this context, recent corporate governance reform initiatives have emphasized the control task and independence of non-executive directors. However, little attention has been paid to their impact on the external and internal service tasks of non-executive directors.
This paper investigates how the service tasks of non-executive directors have evolved in the Netherlands. Data on corporate governance at the top-100 listed companies in the Netherlands between 1997 and 2005 show that the emphasis on non-executive directors’ external service task has shifted to their internal service task, i.e. from non-executive directors acting as boundary spanners to non-executive directors providing advice and counseling to executive directors.
This shift in board responsibilities affects non-executive directors’ ability to generate network benefits through board relationships and has implications for non-executive directors’ functional requirements.
Keywords: Corporate governance codes, non-executive directors, The Netherlands
|←Previous The Changing Role of the Supervisory Board Chairman: The Case of the Netherlands (1997–2007)||The Netherlands - Board Index Next→|
- Shareholders Rights Survey 2004 - 2005 Macedonia
- On the Supposed Independence of Two-Tier Boards
- An International Comparison of Corporate Governance Models
- A Review of International Corporate Governance Developments (in Dutch)
- The Importance of Disclosure in Corporate Governance Self-regulation Across Europe
- The Emerging Role of Audit Committees
- How the Private Sector can be Involved in the Development of Modern Business Standards
- The Netherlands - Board Index
- Corporate Governance of Non-Listed Companies in Emerging Markets
- The Effectiveness of Shareholders Meetings