Maassen, G.F. (2004). The Relationship Between Corporate Governance and the Performance of Joint Stock Companies. How the Macedonian Company Law Can Help. Macedonian Business Lawyers Review 9 (4): 115-130.
This paper introduces the reader to the importance of corporate governance standards and a well-drafted modern company law for the development of Macedonia’s private sector. Clearly, with the current attempts to modernize the 1996 company law, Macedonia has the great opportunity, and seen in light of EU-accession, an important obligation to modernize its company law.
With the company law adopted by Parliament in 2002, Macedonia made the first important step to further protect the rights of shareholders. Meanwhile, a third competing draft has been produced by Macedonian law experts who seek to incorporate a greater amount of flexibility for companies to choose their regulatory form.
Although the three versions of the law are different in many ways, they have in common the important role company law plays in the development of Macedonia’s private sector. Without a good company law, Macedonia will not be able to attract foreign investment, nor will it be able to build the confidence of domestic investors. A good company law is also important for the financial performance of Macedonian companies. The greater the protection of shareholders, the lower the cost will be for companies to attract financing and the greater the value their assets will be.
|←Previous SMEs and Corporate Social Responsibility||Independent Directors for Macedonian Joint Stock Companies Next→|
- De Adviserende Rol van Commissarissen in het Licht van de Code Tabaksblat
- Gebruik Toezichthoudende Commissies Sterk Toegenomen in Nederland
- Cumulative Voting and the Protection of Minority Shareholders in the CIS
- Veranderingen in de Service-Rol van Commissarissen in Nederland (In Dutch)
- Investigating the Development of the Internal and External Service Tasks of Non-executive Directors
- Een Internationale Vergelijking van Corporate Governance Modellen
- De Audit-Commissie van de Raad van Commissarissen in Nederland
- SMEs and Corporate Social Responsibility
- Independent Directors for Macedonian Joint Stock Companies
- Major Transactions: How the Macedonian 2004 Company Law Protects Directors
- Het Gebruik van Toezichthoudende Commissies Binnen Raden van Commissarissen