Maassen, G.F. (2004). Independent Directors for Macedonian Joint Stock Companies. Why the Proposed Company Law Should Emphasize Disclosure Requirements. Macedonian Business Lawyers Review 10 (4):185-201.
The drafters of the proposed company law have included in the law a requirement for Joint Stock Companies to have independent directors. The new board independence requirements in the proposed company law ensure that Macedonia adheres to the corporate governance principles of the OECD and is in line with the requirements of many European countries. With these requirements, Macedonia will take the lead in improving corporate governance standards in the region. They will also assist Macedonia to attract foreign investment and help joint stock companies to gain the confidence of domestic and foreign investors.
To assess whether the proposed company law sufficiently addresses the independence of directors of joint stock companies, this article compares the latest international developments with the proposals of the Macedonian drafting committee. Although the article concludes that compared with the 1996 law, significant improvements have been made, more disclosure requirements are needed in the new company law to ensure that Macedonian joint stock companies will comply with the requirement to have independent directors in their Board of Directors or Supervisory Board.
|←Previous The Relationship Between Corporate Governance and the Performance of Joint Stock Companies||Major Transactions: How the Macedonian 2004 Company Law Protects Directors Next→|
- De Adviserende Rol van Commissarissen in het Licht van de Code Tabaksblat
- Gebruik Toezichthoudende Commissies Sterk Toegenomen in Nederland
- Cumulative Voting and the Protection of Minority Shareholders in the CIS
- Veranderingen in de Service-Rol van Commissarissen in Nederland (In Dutch)
- Investigating the Development of the Internal and External Service Tasks of Non-executive Directors
- Een Internationale Vergelijking van Corporate Governance Modellen
- De Audit-Commissie van de Raad van Commissarissen in Nederland
- SMEs and Corporate Social Responsibility
- The Relationship Between Corporate Governance and the Performance of Joint Stock Companies
- Major Transactions: How the Macedonian 2004 Company Law Protects Directors
- Het Gebruik van Toezichthoudende Commissies Binnen Raden van Commissarissen